Documentation, Billing, and Coding for Interventional Techniques and Opioid Prescribing
The incorporation of documentation measures into a physician practice should not be at the expense of patient care, but instead should augment the ability of the physician practice to provide quality patient care.
This affects not only every pain physician, but also most every person who suffers from pain and their families. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention have provided guidelines, focused on primary care physicians, that require a more critical review of concepts and practices. This webinar will provide you with Documentation, Billing, and Coding, information for Interventional Techniques and Opioid Prescribing. As well as how to keep both your practice and patients safe from the consequences of un-safe and misguided procedures.
A well-designed documentation program can:
- Speed and optimize proper payment of claims.
- Minimize billing mistakes.
- Reduce the chances that an audit will be conducted by HCFA or the OIG.
- Avoid conflicts with the self-referral and anti-kickback statutes.
- Avoid submitting claims for payment to Medicare or Medicaid that you know or should know are false or fraudulent.
Documentation in IPM has been under attack from all carriers as well as recovery contractors, OIG, and others. OIG may seek civil monetary penalties and sometimes exclusion for a wide variety of conduct and is authorized to seek different amounts of penalties and assessments based on the type of violation at issue. Penalties range from $10,000 to $50,000 per violation.
In this innovative and interactive webinar, we will evaluate the rules and regulations of documentation, billing, and coding, specific to interventional techniques and opioid prescribing. Along with practical examples and case presentations. This webinar is intended for interventional pain management specialist, nurses, staff, and other healthcare providers.
The webinar will include a 15-30 minute question and answer period at the of presentation. You will be able to ask questions via text messages. A pdf of the presentation will be available. And the webinar will be archived so you can watch it again whenever you want at no extra cost.
Laxmaiah Manchikanti, M.D.
- Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, ASIPP and SIPMS
- Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
- Professor of Anesthesiology –Research, Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, LUS Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA
- Co-Director, Pain Management Centers of America
- Medical Director, Pain Management Centers of Paducah, Paducah, KY, the Ambulatory Surgery Center, Paducah KY; and Pain Management Center of Marion and Pain Care Surgery, Marion, IL
Laxmaiah Manchikanti, M.D., is the Co-Director of Pain Management Centers of America. He is Medical Director of the Pain Management Center of Paducah, KY, and Marion, IL, and the Ambulatory Surgery Center in Paducah, KY, and the Pain Care Surgery in Marion, IL. He is also Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Louisville in Louisville, KY, and Professor of Anesthesiology-Research for the Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA.
He has been in practice in Paducah, KY, since completion of a fellowship in anesthesiology and critical care medicine in 1980. He graduated from Gandhi Medical College, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India. He completed his internship and residency in anesthesiology at Gandhi Hospital, Youngstown Hospital Association, (North Eastern Ohio School of Medicine), Allegheny General Hospital, and his fellowship in anesthesiology and critical care medicine at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.
Dr. Manchikanti is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology along with subspecialty certi?cation in Pain Medicine and the American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians (ABIPP), American Board of Pain Medicine (ABPM), and is a Fellow in Interventional Pain Practice (FIPP). Dr. Manchikanti is a member of numerous professional societies and associations. He is the founder, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP), the Society of Interventional Pain Management Surgery Centers (SIPMS), and many State Societies of Interventional Pain Physicians. He is also the founder of the Pain Physician journal, Interventional Pain Management journal, ABIPP, and the ASIPP Foundation.
He served as a member on the Kentucky Carrier Advisory Committee and the Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting (KASPER) Task Force. He also served as a member on the Murray State University Board of Regents, Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure (KBML), Medicare Carrier Advisory Committee (MCAC), American Medical Association (AMA) House of Delegates, and the Carrier Advisory Committee (CAC) of the National Government Services. Through his work with various organizations, Manchikanti has been instrumental in the preservation of Interventional Pain Management through specialty designation, mandatory Carrier Advisory Committee (CAC) representation, reimbursement, and the passage of NASPER. Manchikanti has testi?ed before Congress on various occasions as an expert witness on controlled substance management and interventional pain management.
Dr. Manchikanti has published over 540 publications and serves on several editorial boards.
Dr. Manchikanti is also the editor of 12 books designed for interventionalists:
- Interventional Pain Management: Low Back Pain - Diagnosis and Treatment. 2002
- Interventional Pain Management: Documentation, Coding, and Billing - A Practical Guide for Physicians and ASCs. 2002
- Principles of Documentation, Billing, Coding & Practice Management for the Interventional Pain Professional. 2004
- Interventional Techniques in Chronic Spinal Pain. 2008
- Interventional Techniques in Chronic Non-Spinal Pain. 2009
- Foundations of Pain Medicine and Interventional Pain Management: A Comprehensive Review. 2011
- Clinical Aspects of Pain Medicine and Interventional Pain Management: A Comprehensive Review. 2011
- Pain Medicine & Interventional Pain Management Board Review Self-Assessment. 2011
- Essentials of Practice Management: Billing, Coding, and Compliance in Interventional Pain Management. 2012
- ICD-10-CM for Interventional Pain Management: A Practical Guide. 2016
- Essentials of Interventional Techniques in Managing Chronic Spinal Pain. 2017
- Essentials of Regenerative Medicine in Interventional Pain Management. 2019